The Stephenson County Fair is quickly approaching. The dates of the Fair are July 27th through the 31st. We will have hands-on activities for the whole family at our Farm Fun Zone Tent each day of the fair. Some of the activities will include a beanie baby craft, pig plate craft, beads of the garden bracelet, and a paper bag horse craft. Our Kiddie Pedal Tractor Pull will take place on Saturday, July 31st at 1 pm in the Foresights Building. Registration will be held at 12:30 pm. All participants will receive a snack and goodie bag. The Kiddie Pedal Tractor Pull is sponsored by Stephenson County Farm Bureau Young Leaders. This will be the qualifying pull for the Illinois State Fair championship pull. Season passes for the fair will be $18 for Farm Bureau members in good standing through August 31, 2021. There will be a limit of two tickets per membership. You can stop by our office Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm to pick up your season Fair passes.
This is the last week to order your peaches. Orders are due by Friday, July 23rd at 4:30 pm. Peaches are $40 for members in good standing through August 31, 2021, and $45 for non-members. You can place your order by calling us and paying over the phone with a credit card, mailing us a check to 210 W. Spring Street, Freeport, IL 61032, or by stopping by our office. You can pick up your peaches on August 4th from 8 am to 5 pm. Any orders for peaches placed after July 23rd will be $45 are not guaranteed.
The Stephenson County Farm Bureau is offering our voting members an opportunity to purchase fire extinguishers at a discounted rate. We will be accepting orders through August 5th. Our estimated pick-up time is the week of August 16th. We will notify you when they are ready to be picked up. A 2.5lb extinguisher will be $35 and a 5lb extinguisher will be $60. Phone orders with a credit card will be accepted. Our phone number is (815) 232 – 3186.
Join us on Saturday, August 21st for a tour of Clara Joyce Flowers. The tours begin at 10 am and 4 pm at 13493 E. Blair Hill Road, Stockton, IL. Pre-registration will be required. The cost is $10 per person. For questions or to register please call the Stephenson County Farm Bureau at (815) 232 – 3186.
Each week during the month of July, I will be sharing a peach recipe.
Pretty Peach Jam
- 8 medium peaches, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 small unpeeled navel orange, cut into wedges
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 2 packages (1-3/4 ounce each) powdered fruit pectin
- 10 cups sugar
- Rinse thirteen 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a blender or food processor, cover and process fruits and cherry juice in batches until smooth. Transfer to a large stockpot; stir in pectin and bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar and return to a rolling boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Immediately fill containers to within ½ in of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers. Immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours.
- 2 tablespoons: 88 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 22g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.